Oregon law requires you to contact the utility locating service before you dig anywhere on public or private property. If you damage any utility facilities, you will be liable for repair costs. You can reach the utility locating service in the following ways:
- Call 811
- Visit the local 811 website and scroll down to the “Homeowners Online Locate Request” on the home page.
811 is a free service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You should request locates at least 3 working days before beginning any excavation to prevent damage to underground facilities, service interruptions, and injuries. A representative will be sent out to locate and mark any underground facilities on your property.
We also recommend taking these steps during your digging project.
- Take pictures of the work area after the locate marks are on the ground. That way if the locate marks aren’t correct, you will have a record of what was marked and where. If you hit a facility, be sure to take pictures of the area where you are digging.
- Keep the locate “ticket number” handy so that you can refer to it in the event of any issues.
- Stop work immediately if you dig into a facility, and call the company whose service was dug into to let them know. If you dig into the electric line, call the Sellwood Power District at (503) 771-5596.
- Our crews will come out and check on things, and the locating service may come out as well. Your locating ticket should have the names and numbers for the other companies, such as water, gas, cable, or phone lines.